Our Elder's Quorum lesson last Sunday reminded me of a valuable lesson I have to relearn every few years. That morning I looked at the lesson schedule, and seeing that we would be going over President Uchtdorf's talk, "The Love of God", I thought to myself, "that might be kind of boring" because we had already had a lesson and two talks about it in our last ward... (Doesn't that just sound like I'm begging to be humbled?)
The guy who was supposed to teach the lesson didn't show, so the Elder's Quorum President taught the lesson on the fly. I had just been called as in EQ instructor, and having been in the same situation he was in, I wanted to do everything I could to help him and make the lesson go well. Maybe it was my righteous desire to help him that allowed the spirit to open my eyes and help me see the amazing truths Elder Uchtdorf was teaching (I'll post about what I learned from the talk later), truths I had (apparently) breezed over in other readings of that talk.
I was reminded of something Dave Ramsey says in one of his presentations (paraphrased): "A while ago I had a great spiritual awakening. I realized that God is smarter than me!" I was reminded that God, Prophets, Apostles, and many (if not most) others, including my wonderful and spiritual wife, know more than I do, and that only in humility will I be able to begin to comprehend the full depth of what they are trying to teach me. (I had a similar experience on my mission with Elder Eyring's talk, "A Child and A Disciple". When I heard it in the MTC, I was like, "that was a good talk", but when I read it a year later, I realized that what I had understood in the MTC was barely scratching the surface of what he was really talking about).
No comments:
Post a Comment