Back in college, one of my teachers showed a documentary on brain development and the benefits of kangaroo care. I am so grateful that I was able to see it. I think it's what began my journey to natural birth.
In the video, it showed mom's all wrapped up with their NICU babies. A neurologist explained, "The mother and father can do so much better in helping them feel relaxed. The mother has the baby on the breast. That's what the body, the nervous system, has been promised. The closeness of holding the body of the parent, the family, the social group, makes that family feel confident." (22 min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrOw8L_Gb4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
In the video, it showed mom's all wrapped up with their NICU babies. A neurologist explained, "The mother and father can do so much better in helping them feel relaxed. The mother has the baby on the breast. That's what the body, the nervous system, has been promised. The closeness of holding the body of the parent, the family, the social group, makes that family feel confident." (22 min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrOw8L_Gb4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
The baby was promised its parents bodies? It's mother's breasts? It's family took be gathered around? I was at first taken aback at such a reference in an educational setting, but afterwards have pondered, who promised them this? We know. And what else were they promised that we, as their caregivers are under responsibility to fulfill? I'm not sure. Something to be studied, pondered, and prayed about.
Does anyone besides me have fears about having children, loving them, losing them, or being rejected by them?
In the Old Testament we read about "Zion enlarging its borders". A Bible scholar had speculated that Zion, in this case, can refer to women, allowing their bodies to be "enlarged" to make a home for the children of God. A birthright to bear the bodies and souls of men in partnership with our Heavenly Father. The role of women is truly a divine one, and I think we have not yet begun to understand it purpose, power, and potential for good.
I have many fears regarding my children, motherhood, myself, my marriage, or future, but holding onto the promises given to myself, and my children, gives me strength to live in the now and keep pushing forward. Which is hope, which is faith.
I love this song, and not sure who the voice is, or for whom the message is intended, but I think of my babies, and the promises that I have and will make them. They were promised all of me.
All of Me by Mark Hammit
Afraid to love
Something that could break
Could I move on
If you were torn away
Something that could break
Could I move on
If you were torn away
And I'm so close
To what I can't control
I can't give you half my heart
And pray He makes you whole
To what I can't control
I can't give you half my heart
And pray He makes you whole
You're gonna have all of me
You're gonna have all of me
Cause you're worth every falling tear
You're worth facing any fear
You're gonna know all my love
Even if it's not enough
Enough to mend our broken hearts
But giving you all of me
Is where I'll start
You're gonna have all of me
Cause you're worth every falling tear
You're worth facing any fear
You're gonna know all my love
Even if it's not enough
Enough to mend our broken hearts
But giving you all of me
Is where I'll start
I won't let sadness
Steal you from my arms
I won't let pain
Keep you from my heart
I'd trade the fear
Of all that I could lose
For every moment
I'll share with you
Steal you from my arms
I won't let pain
Keep you from my heart
I'd trade the fear
Of all that I could lose
For every moment
I'll share with you
And Heaven brought you to this moment
It's too wonderful to speak
You're worth all of me
You're worth all of me
So let me recklessly love you
Even if I bleed
You're worth all of me
You're worth all of me
It's too wonderful to speak
You're worth all of me
You're worth all of me
So let me recklessly love you
Even if I bleed
You're worth all of me
You're worth all of me
You're gonna have all of me
Cause you're worth every falling tear
You're worth facing any fear
You're gonna know all my love
Even if it's not enough
Enough to mend our broken hearts
But giving you all of me
Is where I'll start
It's where I'll start
Cause you're worth every falling tear
You're worth facing any fear
You're gonna know all my love
Even if it's not enough
Enough to mend our broken hearts
But giving you all of me
Is where I'll start
It's where I'll start
Who else am I called to love that fear is keeping me from?
I promise all of my body, my heart, my mind, my might to you, my child. As He did, and does for us.
A college course kind of nudged me towards natural birth too, but it was Anatomy and the movie was "Birth in the Squatting Position" :) You're not alone in your fears, but the promises we've been given definitely are comforting.
ReplyDeleteYou are beautiful and so is your boy. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You've always been inspiring. :)
ReplyDeleteMegan, I am just catching up. (What else is new, right?!) I loved this post and enjoyed seeing your baby bump again. Then I reflect back on your birth and I get all teary-eyed all over again.... so beautiful, so powerful, so much love and so spiritual! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your journey! xox
ReplyDelete