Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Sandy Osburn history part 3


Memories of Grandparents



Grandma Ethel Rockwood was a fabulous cook and I always looked forward to going to her house for Sunday dinner.  She and her friends Minnie Thornton, Mamie Longhurst and Mildred Smith all cooked for the school district for many years and they were all amazing cooks!  Grandma Ethel cooked at Iona Elementary when I was at school there and I always got seconds, if I wanted them.  She later moved to Bonneville High School, so when I was in high school I would get to see her at lunch time.  She often brought left-overs home (it was allowed back then).  My favorite lunch at school was chili and cinnamon rolls that were nearly as big as the lunch tray. They also made peanut butter balls.  Grandma Ethel rarely used a recipe, she just knew how much to put in.  Her home-made rolls were the Best and that is what I test any good roll against.  Some of my favorite things that grandma Ethel made: angel food cake, carrot pudding, roast beef and gravy.  Grandma Ethel and her friend Minnie “wall-papered” all over Eastern Idaho to earn extra money.  They finally quit when they were both in their 80s.  Grandma Ethel was also a talented seamstress.  She could look at a dress in the store and come home and sew it!  She made Linda and I many cute dresses over the years.    I always felt loved and welcome anytime at Grandma and Grandpa’s house.  I would often walk to their home after school, where Grandma always had cookies and milk waiting.  If she wasn’t home, she always told me to help myself – and there were always cookies in her cookie jar.  I liked to sleep over at their house and did so often.  One evening, when I was in college, my date couldn’t get up the hill to our house because a storm had come in and the snow was drifted too high across the road, so I just had him take me to Grandma Ethel’s and I knocked on her door at 1:00 a.m. and stayed the night with them. 



Grandpa Warren Rockwood was a farmer and he loved rodeo and horses.  He rode in the Bonneville posse and we would get to see him in every parade and at the rodeo.  When we were up at the dry farm, Grandpa Warren would always help me get the horse from the pasture and bridle and saddle him.  He smoked for many years, and was a little taciturn, but after he quit smoking, his personality changed and he was jovial and more outgoing.  I figure he just didn’t feel very good all those years. 



Grandma Ruby Gifford was a gifted artist.  She did oil painting, but her joy was making sculptures.  She would sculpt, usually horses or people in clay, then make a rubber cast mold over the clay.  Then she poured the plaster into the mold.  Once the plaster was cast, she would sand it carefully, then paint in all the details.  She made tiny bridles and saddle for the horses, and built small wagons for them to pull.  The cowboys had on jeans, chaps and fringed shirts and hats.  It was delightful to watch her work and see her art work when she was finished.  Grandma Ruby was also a really good cook.  Grandpa Milo would bet us that we couldn’t eat one of Grandma’s flapjacks . . . and he was right, her flapjacks were bigger than the plate!



Grandpa Milo Gifford liked to try his hand at all kinds of things.  He came from a farming background, so that is what he mostly did, but he liked to move and change jobs every few years.  He farmed, owned a grocery store, a restaurant, a dairy farm, worked on a ranch, and went back to farming. 



It was fun going to their home when they had the dairy farm up in Star Valley Wyoming.  I don’t think we ever got up early enough to “help” Grandpa Milo milk the cows way early in the morning, but we’d join him when he came in for a big breakfast of flapjacks, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy and fresh milk.  After breakfast  he’d put all five of us cousins up on his huge Clydesdale workhorse and we’d help get the cows out to their pasture and bring them in again to be milked in the late afternoon.  It was fun to help grandpa set the water for irrigation and Grandma always made huge meals to feed all of us.  They had a Victorola that we would crank up and dance to “Big Rock Candy Mountain,” “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes,”  or “Over the Rainbow.” 





No comments:

Post a Comment