
I got a message from a mission friend today saying that she was engaged and it reminded me that I never posted about my last reunion that was so fun and interesting.
First, I wanted to say that the reunion was very well planned and pulled off by Tiff Messick, our ambassador to HK and reunion planner. In talking with her, watching her interact with the guests, and mentally reviewing her messages to me and other CHKM RMs, I was deeply impressed by Tiff's love and concern for each of us. I truly hope that those around her will realize that and remember if they ever wonder if someone cares for them. What a great example she is of a principle I learned from Kyle Johnson in HK, "If you can't make a convert, at least make a friend." True friendship is built with non-judgmental love, and reaching out, as I have seen her do.
The 2nd big event was when a Chinese RM said hello to me and motioned that I'd become pregnant. At least that's what I thought since this is a very common question these days. He was quite surprised when I responded in the negative. And rightly so as the question was not a question at all but a declaration that I was fat. Now, lest you become offended for me, my fellow Americans, there is an explanation. I had to giggle (several hours later of course) in remembering that during my time in HK I had to learn that calling someone fat is far from putting them down or even pointing out a fault. My 22-year-old-120-lbs body was called "fat" those endlessly hot days walking street after street of meeting new and odd people. It was a custom to begin conversations this way, a pimple, a scar, a stain, anything to strike up a conversation with a stranger falls within the borders of normalcy in cultural appropriateness. Upon realization, a warm felling pervaded me, remembering that foreign environment I was so privileged to serve in.
Lesson #3. Mac (or Lane) Strong and I spent many, many, many months serving in the same zones in HK and had many, many, many good times of laughter of the many situations (such as the above) that we found ourselves in. I have a great respect for him and his ability to trust in the Lord. He helped me out many, many times through chastisement (recentering) or helping me laugh at myself when the stress of mission life began to show. Anyway, now sitting with my husband, chatting with Mac, reminiscing and teasing, I was gladdened to remember those relationships that were built on the foundation of service to the Lord. I feel that I was my best self on that little island and I was loved and accepted for it by my fellow missionaries. Now, in the struggle of everyday living where my less-than-best self is hard for even myself to love, it was refreshing to relive those bits of laughter together.
As a side-note: Ethan knows and loves the whole range of who I am from my best to my worst-an ability I admire, appreciate and hope to mimic as the eternities rage on. I love you honey!!!
There were some disappointments as those I loved and served with seemed to have moved on from those life-defining moments we experienced together-hoping that I have not-but re- pledging to remember them and devote myself to the Lord's work.
It's always sad to me that half of the people I served with a grew to love were not there. I understand that people have other commitments or do not live close enough to attend and hope to at least see their little "face"s in the "book", but the real painful thing is to not meet with my Chinese and Phillipina companions whom I miss as much as my American ones. Furthermore, if it's a reunion, shouldn't we meet with the members, the leaders, the baptisms, the investigators, the contacts to continue the work that we left? Alas, that time has not yet come, but it will as surely as I met with others in that institute game room, I will meet them all someday.
For the most part I am pleased with the time we spent at the reunion because of the things I learned and the chance to reconnect, if not with the people, but the memories and feelings of that sweet and precious time given to me in Hong Kong.
Well Jen says... Apa Kabar Sister?! Ketika saya melihat bahwa anda punya photo ini di blogmu, saya senang sekali. Wahdu!! Itu sudah lama! Saya merindu semua orang di misi kita. Philippina, Orang Indonesia, China dan semuanya. Sewatu hari, kita harus pergi ke Hong Kong lagi. Nanti-lah!
ReplyDeleteMeagan,
ReplyDeleteReally enjoy your blog which is filled with wit and insight. Great idea to start a wedding dresses renting business. Good luck. Hope to see you and Ethan in the Oct. mission reunion.
Love,
Sister Ong