Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dyeing your hair at home

Note: I just noticed that 1/2 of the "happy girl" post was missing! Just fixed. Enjoy.
I've done this for several years and have never had trouble with it, so I thought I'd share my process if anyone cares.
  1. When purchasing, first look at what price range you're comfortable with. Remember, a cut and color at a salon can range from $40-100 (in CV) so you're getting a deal on whatever you can find at the grocery store. Obviously, the higher-priced brands have more natural tones in them, are (usually) kinder to your hair, and will last longer. But, not all brands carry all shades. That said, I buy what's on sale and I have a coupon for. 
  2. You're going to buy 2 bottles: One to match your hair exactly (this will help the new color blend in naturally) and the target color. If you have VERY light blond hair go one shade closer to your own. If you follow my advice, don't even worry about the "color chart" on the side. This is what they do at the salon and don't tell you. Plus you'll have your 2nd application all ready! Check if it's permanent or wash out. Buy your preference.
  • Nice'n Easy by Clairol is my current favorite. Moderate price range and great features.Clairol has several types out there and this is probably their least expensive. Nice'n Easy has "Color-blend technology" which could be a gimmick, but I think it gives my hair very subtle and very natural variation. It also includes a bottle of color sealer/conditioner-enough for the six weeks between colorings. I often buy it separately because I like the smell of it and feel of my hair. Also, Nice'n Easy is not smelly at all, and the least itchy of all I've tried. 
 3. I buy a drop cloth from the dollar store when I do this. Remember these beauties? Well, I will NOT allow them to be adulterated.

4. Read your directions completely first. Wear an old BUTTON-UP shirt, not a t-shirt you'll have to pull over your head. When you mix up your color with the activator, just mix 1/2 of your color, and 1/2 of the target color. Then put the 1/2 full bottles in the box for next time. Make sense? P.S. I have never done the allergy nor the hair sample test, and have never had a problem (but I do have a little problem with patience), but you may want to. Oh, and start with dry, brushable hair. For me, that's 2 days after straightening mine. Only 1 kind I've bought had me start with wet hair.

5. Make sure you have everything set up that you'll need. You can't leave for about 30 min, so have it on the counter next to you. Grab a few hair clips (the dye just washes off mine), a comb, a dark towel/wash cloth, some cheap shampoo. The towel and shampoo are for wiping up splatters and streaks on your skin. The sooner you do it, the easier it will come off. You can put Vaseline on your ears and around the hairline if you wish. Again, I'm not so patient.

6. Put the gloves on and go to town! Don't be afraid of glooping it on. I have moderately long hair and I struggle with using the whole bottle. But do. At a salon, they'll often comb the goop into your hair, but I haven't experienced anything so painful and thusly refuse to so that at home. Again, I think being not-so-thorough yields a more natural product. On your 2nd time, just be sure to get your roots covered.

7. After reaching the time in the instructions, get in the shower and wash it out. I do use a little mild shampoo to help the goop get all the way out. Rinse until the water runs clear. Then condition if it came with some, or use your own.

8. After showering, I give my hair a quick trim in the sink. I find that with the combination of hair products that I use, I can often for months in between colorings. 

Please let me know if you have any questions and good luck!!

1 comment:

  1. Neat post! I've never dyed my hair, except for that L'Oreal two-week dye that was out a few years ago, so I found this helpful. I'm almost inspired to try a dye!

    ReplyDelete