Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Husband Coached Childbirth

Husband Coached Childbirth by Robert A Bradley

Author's Note (written after the fact): I think my frustration at some people/meetings at work spilled over into this review, so please take my negative comments with a grain of salt

I think this is the most practical of the childbirth books I've read thus far. It's written to the husband/coach, so it's got a different feel from most childbirth books. He goes into a lot of detail about exactly what you should and shouldn't do (and sometimes even a schedule to follow) to prepare for childbirth, and usually explains exactly why you and/or your wife should do it, which is very helpful for analytical/logical/scientific/male me. But, he also skims some things saying you'll learn them in your Bradley Birth classes (which of course, are not offered here in cache valley...)

I didn't really like his know-it-all authoritative tone, stating sometimes unequivocally that "this and this will happen" and "your wife will do this or be like this" when other times he stresses that everyone is different and no one has exactly the same experience. That said, seeing as how he's been at 23,000 births, I can understand that a little bit of authority could creep in here and there...
He talks a lot about how we can learn about natural birth by observing animals, who follow their instincts and normally give birth without help and without problems. Can't disagree with that, but he also seems to imply that women must be taught everything because they don't have those animal instincts to rely on. That I disagree with...I think women's instincts are quite reliable (if they haven't been taught wrongly or made to fear the process).
The other (very minor) thing that grated on my nerves was his repetitive use of certain phrases. i.e. It was probably only 3 or 4 times, but it just seemed like he kept talking about the stupid orange juice (which I'm fairly sure if he gave to MY wife, she would promptly throw up).

Enough ranting...overall a good book that is worth reading.

2 comments:

  1. I want to try Bradly next time I have a baby. It sounds exactly like what I would want to do. Thanks for the book idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did the Bradley method with our first birth. It's good, but I wish we would have taken a class. I LOVED hypnobirthing! Probably because I got to take a class :)

    ReplyDelete