Sunday, April 29, 2012

Missionary Letters

When my cousins were serving missions their families would forward some of their weekly emails out. I didn't read all of them at the time, so I've had a large backlog in my inbox. However, lately I've been taking time each Sunday to go through them.

There are plenty of passages like this:

 "Been a but sick this week, just a cold I guess, but on mission it seems like even minor illness is magnified a ton because you can't really just take time to stay at home and rest to recover."


"This sunday was pretty interesting as well. sacrament meeting went over about 30 minutes (which was nice since we teach the gospel principles class) then it seemed like the rest of church just drug along. After that we went to go out and work but elder blair's bike tire was flat so we spent a good amount of time repairing that"


"Got bit by my first dog this past week on mission...Guess you can't have a full mission without that happening. And my companion locked himself in the bathroom last night, the key broke off in the lock, ha it was so funny."

 But there are also memorable passages like these:

"We also had a really awesome miracle happen the other day. As we were biking to different houses, multiple people would honk wave and give us thumbs up and stuff like that. I was thinking about how awesome it would be if instead of doing all that, they would stop and talk to us. it was about time for us to start heading back to the apartment and on our way home someone actually stopped us to talk. He was actually stopped across the street in a 7 eleven parking lot. as we went by he yelled mormons...can i talk with yall. So of course we stopped and he ran across a busy road and came to us. when he got there the first thing he said is tell me about your religion. he was very open and has a desire to learn more and so he gave us his info. It was sweet."


"In fact, we had a pretty cool experience, we were teaching this guy, maybe for only the second time, and we were sharing with him about the restoration and the Book of Mormon, and I asked him, after we had taught everything, what it would mean to him if the Book of Mormon were true. These are his words: "I guess it would mean that I am holding the manual of life in my hands. And that this could answer all the questions that I have about life, like where I came from and where I go after I die." Are you kidding me? Either this guy is a member already and he is just trying to take us for a ride, or he is the coolest investigator that I have ever met. That's awesome. Manual of Life. Cool."

"Something that came to my mind this morning at the funeral actually, I was thinking about why we as humans are so inadequate to comfort others at times such as these. Like there is hardly anything that any of us can do to ease the suffering that was taking place in the life of that family. Why? Then it came to my mind that it is for that exact reason that the Savior did what He did, suffered what He suffered, because the rest f us are so insignificant when it comes to helping others in those situations, Christ knew He would have to take that load upon Himself and stand in that role to comfort those that need it. It was so clear to my mind at that moment"


"We did however have another miracle happen. last week we got a random phone call from a lady wanting us to come by. she told us she had just moved into the area. we thought that she was a less-active or a recent convert but when we went over we found out that she was actually a non-member. her and her husband had been taught by the missioniaries...she was going to be baptized but her husband had kinda said no so she didn't...the missionaries had just started teaching them again when they moved into our area. We set her for baptism gor july 30th and then the next day we were able to go over and teach he whole family. the husband only concern(as of now) was about joseph smith being in the bible.That was easily resolved and he said he would think about being batized on the 30th and get back to us in a week. Well yesterday at church they both showed up and he started introducing himself and saying that he was getting baptized on the 30th so we have two baptisms coming up in a couple of weeks."

No comments:

Post a Comment