We heard a great talk in church today. She started out by telling us about a book she'd just finished. It was about a wagon train that was heading to New Mexico to settle and detailed each family by what skill/property they had that helped the group to be successful in their trip and in building a town upon arriving at their destination. The speaker then made a list of people in our ward that she would like to take along if she had to pack up and move someday. The bishop (who is a building inspector) had to come to help us build our houses, a local police officer to keep us safe, a sister who can teach us to use our food storage, etc. As she thought about these people and their talents/services she wondered if they would want her in their group. What did she have to offer? What service could she provide? Had she continued to improve herself to be ready to be called upon? What knowledge did she have that could help them? I thought that these were excellent questions to ask ourselves.
In Preach My Gospel, in discussing working with local leaders, the statement "seek to be a blessing, and not a burden' has always struck me and makes me review what kind of member I am being, what kind of service I have preformed and what more could I do.
Thank goodness for a chance to repent and be a better servant.
![]() |
| Another, adorable and welcome, burden. |



Sounds like a great talk - and good food for thought! I wonder, what would I have to offer as well?
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your insight!
Love,
Mom O