I was very impressed last Sunday when I read an article in Parade magazine by president Obama, 'We need Fathers to Step Up'.
I share the sentiments of the Parade editor who said "...if the president’s words in PARADE have the impact they should, perhaps many children will have better Father’s Days to come." Here are a few of my favorite excerpts, but I encourage you to read the whole thing:
"In many ways, I came to understand the importance of fatherhood through its absence—both in my life and in the lives of others. I came to understand that the hole a man leaves when he abandons his responsibility to his children is one that no government can fill. We can do everything possible to provide good jobs and good schools and safe streets for our kids, but it will never be enough to fully make up the difference."
"As fathers, we need to be involved in our children’s lives not just when it’s convenient or easy, and not just when they’re doing well—but when it’s difficult and thankless, and they’re struggling. That is when they need us most.
So we need to step out of our own heads and tune in. We need to turn off the television and start talking with our kids, and listening to them, and understanding what’s going on in their lives."
"On this Father’s Day, I am recommitting myself to that work, to those duties that all parents share: to build a foundation for our children’s dreams, to give them the love and support they need to fulfill them, and to stick with them the whole way through, no matter what doubts we may feel or difficulties we may face. That is my prayer for all of us on this Father’s Day, and that is my hope for this nation in the months and years ahead."
That's really cool... I'm going to have to read the whole thing!
ReplyDelete