Sunday, February 28, 2010

Love is the way of the disciple

A few weeks ago, I wrote about my recurring epiphany that "God is smarter than me". Here is what I learned from Elder Uchtdorf's talk that led me again to that epiphany.
E' Uchtdorf begins by saying that we become true disciples by keeping the commandments. He than asks, with all the commandments big and small, how do we stay aligned with the weightier matters of the law? His answer is the two great commandments, love God and love our neighbor. But I didn't really understand at first how this gave us a "constant compass to prioritize our lives". The answers are all there in his talk, it just took me a while to organize them in a way that really made sense to me, as follows:
As we come to know and respect someone, we want to be like them, i.e. we become a disciple. E' Uchtdorf explains that being a true disciple means keeping the commandments. And not keeping them just to keep them, or even just to learn discipline, important as that is, but keeping them because doing so makes us like Him. Each commandment teaches us and helps us gain some divine attribute. To summarize- Know (love) God-> want to be like Him -> way is to keep the commandments.
The scripture "If ye love me, keep my commandments" now has much greater meaning for me. He is not asking us to do it just to show our love for him, but because if we truly love him, we will want to be like him, and keeping the commandments is the only way to become like him. In that realization is a compass for my life, just as Elder Uchtdorf promised. I will give the weighty matters of the law, and those not so weighty as well, priority in my life (over secular things) because they make me like him, and I want to be like him above all else, because I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment