- to sleep on my back if I want a morning nap.
- to sleep when baby sleeps.
- to sit up straight when holding/cuddling/nursing/rocking/wearing babe so I don't get a sore back.
- to enjoy afternoon/evening walks with E and baby.
- that being a momma brings up a whole slew of issues that you thought were long since dead and grown out of.

- that the Little Man is in charge.
- that in order to produce nutrient-rich milk I need to eat and drink nourishing things.
- to check the diaper when he's fussy.
- that I. was. made. for. this. Bring it on.

- to respect and look forward to doctor visits (even the painful ones).
- how kind and willing to help people are during this time.
- to plan something to do everyday. (Today it's to adapt a cookie-bar recipe to a drop-cookie recipe.)
- to let go of checking blogs, facebook, and email everyday.
- to hand baby/laundry/dinner over to E when I need a break.
- that while my labor was not perfect, it was beautiful, blessed, and an experience to build on. (interesting article on this subject here)
- how to tell my birth story without glazing over unpleasantness, freaking people out, nor bragging about doing most of my laboring at home without medication.
- the realities of cloth diapering and what really works for us.
- that while I'm quite old to be a first time Mormon mommy, there are plenty of advantages in Joshua coming at this time for us.
What I'm still at odds with...
- Doing everything one-handed.
- Fixing myself lunch.
- Letting others hold baby.
- Getting a shower and myself ready daily.
- How to get cute pics worthy of his cuteness.
- Encouraging E to go to work rather than squander the whole day at home with us.
I feel the exact same way! The things you're at odds with are the same things I am! Especially the eating lunch and showering thing. You're right that these little guys are in charge and morning naps require us to lay on our backs!
ReplyDeleteNo suggestions, just a thank you. I really enjoyed your words and seeing your little boy. He is a cutie!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're figuring out what works best for you guys. To get cute pictures you just need to take A LOT and at least one of them has to turn out (looks like this one isn't too big of a problem anyway). I find the best time to shower is right after they've eaten and fallen asleep, but be prepared to make the occasional mad dash in a towel :) When Cooper was really little I would park his bassinet right outside of the bathroom. I've found the best way to make sure I eat lunch is to make extra dinner so there's leftovers for lunch the next day. Just one less thing to think about. I think the one handedness, letting others hold the baby, and getting Ethan to work are things that will come with time. I think I've said more than enough :)
ReplyDeleteYou are doing great and wise beyond your years . . . just remember good parenting is a process - a journey, not a destination! I remember telling my children, that I was just a few years ahead of them and still learning and they were teaching me how to be a good parent ! (And still are!)
ReplyDeleteLots of Love
I'm so happy for you Megan! And I'm sure you are doing an awesome job being a first-time mommy. Here are my suggestions - which are obviously just suggestions and my opinions. ;0) If you want two hands and still be able to hold Joshua, invest in a Moby Wrap! They are awesome! You can try out mine if you'd like. As far as showering, put him in the bathroom with you in a bouncer or something so that way you can still hear him easily. And I'm sure you'll have no problems getting cute pics. And once you have them I have lots of ideas of what you can do with them. ;0) Most of all, just enjoy being a mom!
ReplyDeleteI used a baby carrier for awhile, and I agree with Audrey that you just get better and better at doing things with one hand.
ReplyDeleteI had a really hard time getting food too, so I tried to have healthy snacks on-hand that I could grab and even keep upstairs (bran muffins, fruit, etc.).
I would say don't worry about letting others hold him unless you're wanting the break :) The time will come.
I had to start showering at night while Than was home. Then I get ready a little here and a little there during the day and I don't have to worry about getting a shower before I can even start anything else.
I'm still working on encouraging Than to go to work instead of stay home, but one thing that did help was realizing that it would be a short time until we'd both be napping anyway, and then a good part of the day will have passed by then :)
Oh man, I love this :). Isn't motherhood awesome? As far as suggestions go, I have to say it just takes time. I swear I didn't cook a solid meal for MONTHS after Anna was born. Thank goodness for helpful/understanding husbands!
ReplyDeleteAnd I completely agree that pictures never really capture baby's cuteness! That comes in time. As does fully adjusting to the schedule that comes with having a baby. Getting ready for the day before 6 pm is still quite a challenge for me haha. Some days will be better than others, but all in all it just takes time :). Thank goodness there's a lot of it.
I'm just so happy things are going well for you guys!
Well, when you're ready to tell the birth story, I'd love to hear at least a little of it here. I'm a sucker for that stuff. :)
ReplyDelete