We have witnessed in recent weeks wide and fearsome swings in the markets of the world. The economy is a fragile thing. A stumble in the economy in Jakarta or Moscow can immediately affect the entire world. It can eventually reach down to each of us as individuals. There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed.
Elder Christensen then remarked that, looking at the world today, President Hinckley truly was a seer, and that those who had followed his counsel to get their houses in order and get out of debt are surely grateful that they followed the counsel of a prophet.
That quote and remark made me remember something I hadn't thought of for almost 3 years.
In that same talk (right before the quote above), president Hinckley also spoke of Pharoah's dream of 7 years of plenty and 7 years of scarcity. After which he said "I am not predicting years of famine in the future. But I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order."
Seven years after that talk (To the boys and to the Men) he said the following in General Conference in a talk called, If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear:
I don't think that the current situation (economic and moral) is going to improve drastically anytime soon, so I am thankful for prophets who 'see' and then tell me (every six months, if not more often) what I can do to be prepared.
Though in school, Megs and I have tried hard to follow president Hinckley's advice to stay out of debt, obtain food storage, and live within our means. And I'm happy to say that we have no debt (and will be graduating this spring) and that we have 3 months food storage (which we have lived off of for a few weeks more than once). Having a small reserve has also allowed us to serve, and give, knowing that we had extra.
Obedience makes us free from the entanglements of debt and fads, clouds of fear and guilt, because the Son has set us free by His name and by His grace. One of the greatest blessings of all is that I can sleep each night in peace with hope for tomorrow.
That quote and remark made me remember something I hadn't thought of for almost 3 years.
In that same talk (right before the quote above), president Hinckley also spoke of Pharoah's dream of 7 years of plenty and 7 years of scarcity. After which he said "I am not predicting years of famine in the future. But I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order."
Seven years after that talk (To the boys and to the Men) he said the following in General Conference in a talk called, If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear:
"Now what I have said should not occasion a run on the grocery store or anything of that kind. I am saying nothing that has not been said for a very long time.
"Let us never lose sight of the dream of Pharaoh concerning the fat cattle and the lean, the full ears of corn, and the blasted ears; the meaning of which was interpreted by Joseph to indicate years of plenty and years of scarcity"I don't think that the current situation (economic and moral) is going to improve drastically anytime soon, so I am thankful for prophets who 'see' and then tell me (every six months, if not more often) what I can do to be prepared.
Though in school, Megs and I have tried hard to follow president Hinckley's advice to stay out of debt, obtain food storage, and live within our means. And I'm happy to say that we have no debt (and will be graduating this spring) and that we have 3 months food storage (which we have lived off of for a few weeks more than once). Having a small reserve has also allowed us to serve, and give, knowing that we had extra.
Obedience makes us free from the entanglements of debt and fads, clouds of fear and guilt, because the Son has set us free by His name and by His grace. One of the greatest blessings of all is that I can sleep each night in peace with hope for tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment