For our Christmasy activities that last little while we've been baking, reading the Ensign, and watching the 1st Presidency's Christmas Devotional. I have definitely enjoyed December more this year, and been able to spend so much more time feeling the spirit than normal. I'm grateful that we've done this despite our constant lack of constancy.
I've been thinking a lot about the Shepherds talked about in Luke 2 and other places. The Forgotten Carols' "The Shepherd: You were not there in Bethlehem". I have a gorgeous picture sitting in my living room with a Shepherd in it, and I got to spend some time in the temple this weekend, thinking, resting, and reading in the scriptures about sheep, Shepherd, and the promises of God.
Hebrews 13:20
Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
John 10:14
I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
Luke 2:18
And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.
Ezekiel 34:9
Therefore, O ye shepherds, hear the word of the Lord;
1 Peter 5:4
And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
1 Nephi 21:9
That thou mayest say to the prisoners: Go forth; to them that sit in darkness: Show yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places.
Ezekiel 34:14
I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel.
The thought was very first spurred on, however, when we watched The church's DVD "Joy to the World". The shepherds in that movie are quite a rough group. So, why did the angels come to them, I wondered. Because they were humble is the standard answer. But, to me, our station in life seems to have little do with the amount of pride in our hearts. So, these shepherds must have had something to offer the story that no one else could. Or the story had something to offer them, that nothing else could.
My current theory is that the shepherds had to be there to welcome the newborn king, as Christ welcomes us. (Wish I knew more about sheep herding, I'm sure there's some great stuff I'm missing.) And they had to be there to learn more about their roles as shepherds. Just as they watched over the Babe that night, they must give the same care for each of the sheep in their charge. They also could learn something about their God, that he is the Shepherd of our souls, a personal, caring God that the Jews had not known for sometime. That God would watch over them in the same way that a shepherd cares for his sheep. The Good Shepherd literally 'got His hands dirty' in caring for his broken and sick sheep. He stood between them and the wolves, and died for it.
So, what did the shepherds, or what can we take away from the experience of meeting the Christ child? How will we be different? Changed? More committed? More pure, more holy, more like Him.
And what about Mary? How did she change from her experience? What will I learn from the discomfort of pregnancy and delivery that will make me more like Him? What can I learn about motherhood from the Mother of Jesus? How can I prepare my sons and daughters for service in the kingdom, to achieve their individual missions in this life?
I love this new song, sharing the thoughts of Mary as she greets her newborn son. I imagine how it will be for me. I don't know this little one yet, but I do know the Savior. And my gratitude to Him swells as I picture this moment for myself next April.
(Pause playlist below before starting video)
Francesca Battistelli
You're Here
You're Here
Hold on now, got to take a deep breath.
I don't know what to say when I look in your eyes.
You made the world before I was born,
And here I am holding you in my arms tonight.
Noel, Noel
Jesus our Emmanuel.
And here I am holding you in my arms tonight.
Noel, Noel
Jesus our Emmanuel.
You're here.
I'm holding you so near.
I'm staring into the face of my Savior,
King and Creator.
You could of left us on our own.
But you're here.
I don't know how long I'm going to have you for,
But I'll be watching when you change the world.
Look at your hands, they're still so small.
Someday you're going to stretch them out and save us all.
Noel, Noel
God with us, Emmanuel.
You're here.
I'm holding you so near.
I'm staring into the face of my Savior,
King and Creator.
You could of left us on your own.
But you're here.
Someday I'm going to look back on this,
The night that God became my baby boy.
Someday you're going to go home again,
But you'll leave your spirit,
And flood the world with joy.
I'm holding you so near.
I'm staring into the face of my Savior,
King and Creator.
You could of left us on our own.
But you're here.
I don't know how long I'm going to have you for,
But I'll be watching when you change the world.
Look at your hands, they're still so small.
Someday you're going to stretch them out and save us all.
Noel, Noel
God with us, Emmanuel.
You're here.
I'm holding you so near.
I'm staring into the face of my Savior,
King and Creator.
You could of left us on your own.
But you're here.
Someday I'm going to look back on this,
The night that God became my baby boy.
Someday you're going to go home again,
But you'll leave your spirit,
And flood the world with joy.
You'll be here.
I'm holding you so near.
I'm staring into the face of my Savior,
King and Creator.
You could of left me on my own.
But your here.
You're here.
Hallelujah, you're here.
Hallelujah, you're here.
I'm holding you so near.
I'm staring into the face of my Savior,
King and Creator.
You could of left me on my own.
But your here.
You're here.
Hallelujah, you're here.
Hallelujah, you're here.

Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove this post. Well said.
ReplyDelete