To help us focus on Christ, and generally enjoy this holiday season, I've decided to do something everyday to help us celebrate. I will/have draw from many different traditions to do this so don't be surprised if there is something new or something you don't quite get. I'll try to post everyday, as a surprise to Ethan.
December 1-also the 1st day of Hanukkah (you'll see many Jewish-themed things (food at least).
I am baking a Challah (plural-Challot-that makes me laugh) to have with dinner. We'll read from the scriptures and other sources about bread, leavening, and the like afterwards. Half the loaf will be savory to go with eggs and bacon, and the other half will be frosted for dessert.
If you don't know the history of Hanukkah, I highly recommended finding a legitimate source to study from. It is a beautiful tradition and has quite a few similarities to our Latter-Day doctrine of Temples and the Second Coming. May we pray for that day and be found faithful to rejoice in it!
As I understand it, the menorah is a symbol of covenants (upside-down rainbow). The lights are the Light of God, and the tree shape symbolizes Eve, the mother of life, or Mary, mother of Jesus (as taught in 1st Nephi). Jews place these formerly temple-only decor piece in their windows to show that the temple (lost ages ago, yet restored outside of their faith later) stilll lives on inside each believer and their home. And that they count down the days (by lighting 1 candle a day) when the Lord may again abide inside and invite them to the temple once more.

No comments:
Post a Comment