Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 2 of Christmas

Last night went pretty well as a beginning. I forgot that it was Cub Ssout Pack Night at the church so unfortunately, we never got to our after-dinner discussion/study. However, strangely enough, E walked in and said, "do you know the history of Hannukah?" Um, yeah, why do you ask? He had just heard a snippit on NPR on his way home about it. None of which was the same as I posted last night. I asked him to add it to yesterday's post, but we had some computer issues before bed, so it'll be in today's post instead.

Here is the loaf that I made last night. It was probably 2x too much for 2 people, as a warning.
 The seeded (with dinner, very yummy)
And the glazed. (which we were not in the mood for, due to a new cookie recipe, I think)
Here is the recipe for the one I made last night. If you're looking for an equally good, but more authentic recipe, I have made this one before with great success.

Tonight we'll have latkes with/for dinner. I haven't figured out what to serve them with. Probably just a spinach salad. E LOVES potatoes so they should be a success. I have also made blitzes from the same website that have large amounts of potatoes in them as well. Some recipes call for some sweet potato (in this case yam) to be mixed in with the regular. I'll probably do that.

The non-food potion of today's message will came form last night's missed course of study.  The NPR report reminded us that the 8 days of Hanukkah, and the lighting of the menorah candles is in commemoration of the miracle of the Jews returning to the temple (circa 2nd century BC) by Judah Maccabees and his army*. The rededication included lighting the menorah with 1 day's worth of oil. The miracle was that it actually burned for 8, giving the people time to press, prepare, and consecrate more oil for the burning of the eternal flame. 
What has the Lord done for us? When have been times of rededication for me, personally, that the Lord, Himself, has facilitated? To say nothing of what the temple has meant to me and my family. What are some miracles that I've been given, but haven't yet thanked the Lord for? 
The first miracle that comes to mind is the one that's causing me pain and distress at the moment. How can I thank the Lord for making me fruitful, to enjoy the blessings of posterity? Should/can the weight of my thanksgiving to Him match the immensity of this blessing? Or would daily prayer and striving to have a better attitude suffice? There will be some soul-searching journal writing tonight.
The only obstacle for tonight is that there is a R.S. activity. It'll be a miracle if A)I go, B)I don't throw up while there.  
Happy Day 2 of Christmas 2010!

*Another inspiring story that I learned from Living Scriptures. You can watch a little of the story on their site, as well as download a HUGE PDF activity book for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment