Sunday, November 16, 2008

Temple and Atonement

As I've been working in the temple lately I've been thinking about why it is that we can go to the temple as often as we want. We know that in the tabernacle (the first explicit record of a temple) the high priest could enter the holy place only once a year (see Lev 16). So then, if only he could go there and only once a year, why can we now go there (the celestial room) as often as we want?
The short answer is that it is through the atonement of Jesus Christ. He, the Mediator of the new covenant, entered once into the holy place by his own blood and obtained redemption for us. When we keep that covenant our sins are remembered no more. Knowing that we have taken His name upon us by covenant gives us the boldness to enter into the holiest place, not by our righteousness, or good works, but by His (see Hebrews 6:19-20, 9:6-15, and 10:16-20).
That I, being an imperfect man and a sinner, can enter God's presence (even symbolically) is amazing to me. I don't claim to understand fully how it works, I am just grateful that it does. I know it is through the atonement of Jesus Christ, and the love and mercy of our Father, and I am thankful that He has made it possible for me to go there often, undeserving though I may be. I really do 'Love to see the temple', and go there to serve and to worship. I love working in the baptistry and I know that the work that is done there (and that we can even enter the temple to do it) is possible only through the atonement of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Ethan - you write so beautifully - thank you for sharing a few of your thoughts on the atonement and the temple
    Wow - you are awesome
    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete