Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Body of Christ

The institute class I am taking right now is called 'Methods of Teaching Seminary', in preparation to become a seminary teacher (if I get to student teach, and then if I get hired...). To help us practice, instead of a devotional at the beginning of class, one of us teaches a 5 minutes lesson and then we get feedback from the class. I taught a while ago and it went really well, so I wanted to share the doctrine I taught. If you have time, read the following scriptures:
Eph 4:12-15, Eph 5:23, & 1 Cor 12:27.
We see that Christ is 'the Head', and that the church is the 'body of Christ', and that we as members of the church are also the body of Christ. But what does it mean to be "the Body of Christ"? Think about poeple with disabilities, or who have been in accidents...the head might still be giving out instructions, but some of the parts are no longer responding, for whatever reason. How frustrating would that be, to not have control of your hand, foot or eyes?
While you are thinking about that, listen to the song "If We are the Body" (number 4 on our playlist-below and to the right), and then read the conclusion.
I know that Christ is the head of the church, and the head of 'the body of Christ', of which we are 'members in particular'. I know that we have the opportunity to be His hands to lift up the weary, his feet to go after the lost sheep, and his voice to teach people that He is the way. I hope that we are not the hand or foot that is no longer responding to the directions from the head. I love what president Monson says (paraphrased): 'I try to live my life so that if the Lord needs an errand run, He knows that Tommy Monson will do it'. I pray that I can be that responsive to the Lord, that I can be his hands to reach and heal and lift and teach those around me.

2 comments:

  1. I've never really thought about the "head" and the "body" that way - you have a great way of explaining things, Ethan!

    Love YOu!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog....you always uplift me.

    One thing is for sure, you guys are responding to the Head. Even if in little ways. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete