Monday, November 9, 2009

Teaching in the R.S.


Over the last 3 1/2 years in this ward, I think I've spent over 3 of them as a teacher or in some teaching position in Relief Society. I LOVE to teach and am so grateful that I've been able to develop my talent a contribute to the work in this way.

Well . . . yesterday was my last time teaching! No, not ever, and fortunately, people tend to put RMs in front of the classroom more than not, so I expect to have many, many more years of service.

I taught lesson #45 from the "Teachings of Joseph Smith" book about how Joseph felt about his mission. It was beautifully written and culminated my feelings about studying the prophet's words this year.

I began with a question (as I tend to always do): What does it mean to know someone?

"Oh, I know her." or "I know my husband." We then preceded to make a lengthy list of what that could mean.


  • You know their name

  • You know their likes/dislikes

  • You understand their perspective

  • You know their history

  • You know what they're feeling

  • You know what they need

  • You've spent time with them

  • You've met them

Now, with the expectation of the last, do you know someone whom you've never met? One sister mentioned Christ. He loves, and in turn, knows us completely in return. Now what if we became to busy to spend time with Christ? Then the rest would fall away. We would know his feelings, his desires, or how to approach Him. In his way, we seem to know a lot about Joseph Smith. But do we really KNOW him as we must to have faith in the Christ of our salvation? This manual has given us the chance to really know Joseph. In his words.


In the end, I asked the sisters, "Who was Joseph Smith?" As we reviewed the list we had made about "knowing", there were answers of strong faith that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. That he loved children and cared individually about the saints. We have come to know this Joseph through our study of him this year.


And now, our challenge, is to introduce this "great, good man" to our friends.


As a side note, I would like to receive some feedback on my teaching. If you have heard me teach, I'd like to know what you thought was good, and and could be improved. Post a comment, or if you'd rather, email mrsdresses(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks in advance.

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved your lessons and missed them during the 1/2 year you weren't teaching :)
    I think it was because you made us think. You asked lots of probing questions not just the "What can we do..." questions. Thanks for always working hard on your lessons and challenging me to be better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I always love your lessons! I love how you ask questions that I would never really think of otherwise. Sometimes I wish you would just let us think about it for awhile (I think I'm just a slow thinker). I also love how you know so much about subjects. You always know history and background, and that helps understand things. You have taught me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be in one of your lessons. I'm sure you are a fantastic teacher!

    ReplyDelete