I don't love Martina McBride, but I do like several of her songs and own (one of my first cd purchases) her greatest hits album. This song is on it, and I must include my other favorite from that in this post as they seem a nice pair. Blessed (#8)
I get kissed by the sun each morning
Put my feet on a hardwood floor
I get to hear my children laughing
Down the hall through the bedroom door
Sometimes I sit on my front porch swing
Just soaking up the day
I think to myself, I think to myself
This world is a beautiful place
I have been blessed
And I feel like I've found my way
I thank God for all I've been given
At the end of every day
I have been blessed
With so much more than I deserve
To be here with the ones that love me
To love them so much it hurts
I have been blessed
Across a crowded room
I know you know what I'm thinking
By the way I look at you
And when we're lying in the quiet
And no words have to be said
I think to myself, I think to myself
This love is a beautiful gift
I have to go back a few years to describe why this song is so important to me. After high school, I had the wonderful opportunity to live with my older brother and his family. I hadn't known my brother that well as he moved out of the house when I was 7 years old. Although I'm sure it wasn't convenient, or always pleasant for them, it was the perfect situation for me to get to know him, as well as have some freedom to stretch my wings in a new city. The first few lines describe waking up the sound of children laughing. Late nights out with friends afforded me the great pleasure of being woken up each morning by one, or all, of his 5 children. Is there a more joyful sound than a child giggling? Those children, along with their mother and father, taught me so much about the love of family. I had so many answered prayers in that tiny basement room because of their love and concern over me.
In the present, I have now found a new kind of love with my husband. A love of encouragement, of patience, and pure enjoyment of the other. He can read me so well. Too well, that it's especially frustrating when he doesn't. I never understood (although found it wonderfully romantic) when people said they're not sure where they end and the other begins. But I do now. We are one, through the power of the atonement continually refining and binding us together. I am indeed so very blessed.
I used to live in a darkened room
Had a face of stone
And a heart of gloom
Lost my hope, I was so far gone
Crying all my tears
With the curtains drawn
I didn't know until my soul broke free
I've got these angels watching over me
I used to hide in a party crowd
Bottled up inside
Feeling so left out
Standing in a corner wearing concrete shoes
With my frozen smile
And my lighted fuse
Now every time I start to feel like that
I roll my heart out like a welcome mat
Laugh when I feel like it
Cry when I feel like it
That's just how my life is
That's how it goes
I'm a happy girl
And I've come to know
That the world won't change
Just 'cause I complain
Oh watch me go
I'm a happy girl
Everybody knows
That the sweetest thing you'll ever see
In the whole wide world
Is a happy girl
This philosophy is still a work-in-progress. In middle school, and much of high school, I didn't smile. I felt like I didn't have a thing to smile about. Except for the gospel. I had a place at church with friends and encouraging leaders. It feels so good now to sing out that I've moved past that. That I was given a chance to start a new life of joy and peace, and happiness. I'd love to be able to erase that dark part and start over. But would I be where I am today without it? Would it spoil some vast eternal plan? I don't know. I know that the kind faces shine so much brighter to me in memory because of the backdrop.
What a beautiful post, Megan - I too love Martina's song and what you wrote about Ryan and Shari and their family is lovely . . . and of course I totally agree you have an amazing husband.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom O