Sunday, April 26, 2009

"More fit for the kingdom, more used would I be"

I mentioned in my last post that I was a little disappointed that I (most likely) will not get to student teach. I love teaching seminary and it would be impossible to not be sad that I won't get to spend my career in the class with amazing kids. But the main reason that I'm not too disappointed is that the focus of the class is not on becoming a seminary teacher. I know that might sound weird that the focus of a class called "Methods of seminary teaching" is not on becoming a seminary teacher...but the teacher, Brother Griffin, says from day one that the focus is on becoming more like the Master teacher. He quotes the hymn ‘More Holiness Give Me’:
“More fit for the kingdom, more used would I be, more blessed and holy, more, savior, like thee.”
These have, over the last few months, become some of my favorite verses. That was our focus in every class and every teaching experience! When the time came for 25 of us to find out that we would not be student teaching, we were not devastated but could look back thankfully on experiences that really have made us 'more fit for the kingdom', that have prepared us to serve wherever the Lord will send us.
I am so grateful that I took those classes and would encourage everyone to take them if they get the chance. No matter what position we hold in life we are teachers, and our goal in life is to become like the Master Teacher. I really do feel like the words of the hymn have been realized for me this semester, 'more fit for the kingdom...more savior like thee.'

No comments:

Post a Comment